- English translations by Sri Sadhu Om and Michael James
- Tamil books by Sri Sadhu Om
- English translations of Sri Sadhu Om’s Tamil books
- Books by Michael James
- Transliteration, transcription and pronunciation
- How to buy books by Sri Sadhu Om and Michael James
This section is intended to contain, as far as possible, PDF or HTML copies of all of the published books written either by Sri Sadhu Om or by myself. At present it contains only some of these books, but I hope to be able gradually to add more of them.
For each book listed on this page, I give a bullet point containing a link both to the PDF copy of it and to a page introducing it, on which I also give information about where printed copies of it can be purchased.
English translations by Sri Sadhu Om and Michael James
- A PDF copy of the word-for-word meaning and English translation by Sri Sadhu Om and Michael James of Śrī Aruṇācala Stuti Pañcakam, the ‘Five Hymns to Sri Arunachala’, which is a collection of the devotional songs composed by Sri Ramana.
- A PDF copy of the word-for-word meaning and English translation by Sri Sadhu Om and Michael James of Śrī Ramaṇōpadēśa Nūṉmālai, the ‘Garland of Sri Ramana’s Texts of Spiritual Teachings (upadēśa)’, which is a collection of the principal philosophical poems composed by Sri Ramana.
- A PDF copy of the English translation by Sri Sadhu Om and Michael James of Guru Vācaka Kōvai, the ‘Series of Guru’s Sayings’, which is the most comprehensive and reliable collection of the sayings of Sri Ramana, recorded in 1255 Tamil verses composed by Sri Muruganar, with an additional 42 verses composed by Sri Ramana.
Tamil books by Sri Sadhu Om
Later I hope to include here HTML copies of all the available Tamil books written by Sri Sadhu Om, but at present no such copies have been made.
English translations of Sri Sadhu Om’s Tamil books
- A PDF copy of Sādhanai Sāram, the ‘Essence of Spiritual Practice’, an English translation of a collection of Tamil verses composed by Sri Sadhu Om, in which he gives many valuable clues to help and guide us in the practice of self-investigation and self-surrender.
- A PDF copy of Part One of The Path of Sri Ramana, which is an English translation of Śrī Ramaṇa Vaṙi, a Tamil book written by Sri Sadhu Om, in which he explains in great depth and detail the philosophy and practice of the spiritual teachings of Sri Ramana, with emphasis in this first part on the practice of self-investigation (ātma-vicāra).
- A PDF copy of Part Two of The Path of Sri Ramana, in which Sri Sadhu Om explains the teachings of Sri Ramana on various related subjects such as the reality of the world and God, the path of bhakti or devotion, and the true nature of karma or action.
Later I hope to include here PDF copies of all the available English translations of Sri Sadhu Om’s Tamil books, but at present these are the only PDF copies that I have of such books.
Books by Michael James
- A PDF copy of Happiness and the Art of Being, which is an in-depth introduction to the philosophy and practice of the spiritual teachings of Sri Ramana, written by Michael James.
Transliteration, transcription and pronunciation
In most of the older books in this website, the transliteration of Tamil and Sanskrit words is not entirely consistent. For example, in the early editions of Happiness and the Art of Being I used a simple system of transliteration without diacritics, because at that time I did not have any suitable font with all the diacritics required for precise transliteration.
In many other books such as Guru Vācaka Kōvai and The Path of Sri Ramana a similar system of transliteration without diacritics was used, and though diacritics have been used in Śrī Aruṇācala Stuti Pañcakam and Śrī Ramaṇōpadēśa Nūṉmālai, the transliteration in these books contains many inconsistencies and inaccuracies.
However, I now have suitable fonts, so in all future books and future editions of the existing books I will use an accurate and consistent system of transliteration, which I have described and explained in:
As I explain there, the transliteration scheme that I describe in it is based upon several closely related schemes, including the International Alphabet of Sanskrit Transliteration (IAST), the scheme used in the Tamil Lexicon and the more recent international standard known as ‘ISO 15919 Transliteration of Devanagari and related Indic scripts into Latin characters’.
How to buy books by Sri Sadhu Om and Michael James
Most of the books by Sri Sadhu Om and Michael James are available from Sri Ramanasramam, and can be obtained by contacting Sri Ramanasramam Book Stall by post, telephone or email. The contact details of Sri Ramanasramam are:
Tiruvannamalai 606 603
All the Tamil and English books by Sri Sadhu Om that are currently available in print can be obtained from Sri Arunachalaramana Book Trust, which is responsible for the care and preservation of all his manuscripts and books, and which aims eventually to make all his Tamil writings (and also accurate translations of them in English and other languages) available both in print and online. The contact details of Sri Arunachalaramana Book Trust are:
Sri Arunachalaramana Book Trust
Sri Arunachalaramana Nilayam
11-B Manakkula Vinayakar Street
Sri Ramana Nagar
Tiruvannamalai 606 603
- Sri Arunachala Stuti Panchakam
- Sri Ramanopadesa Noonmalai
- Upadesa Undiyar of Bhagavan Sri Ramana
- Guru Vachaka Kovai
- The Path of Sri Ramana – Part One
- The Path of Sri Ramana – Part Two
- A Light on the Teaching of Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi (Sādhanai Sāram)
Additional information about how to buy each particular book listed on this page is given on the individual page for that book on this website.